Director Gerry Balasta has been busy raising funds and awareness, not just for his film The Mountain Thief which screened at Reel Asian last year, but also to improve the lives of the scavenger actors who worked on the film and their families. Most recently, he has partnered with a non-profit organization to help send all the scavenger actors’ children to school and there is also a livelihood and housing program in the works. According to Gerry, he says he feels “it’s his moral obligation to change the actor’s lives.” This Fall, Gerry will be back in Manila to shoot a new film called I Am The Pacific Storm…and yes, you guessed it, he will be working with the same scavenger actors who made The Mountain Thief an incredible success. Congrats Gerry – we can’t wait to see your new work!Tweet this!
Get Blog Updates via Email
- "Space Fictions" Exhibitions & Artist Talk by Jacqueline Hoang Nguyen and Juan Ortiz-Apuy
- Theatre Passe Muraille presents Same Same But Different by Anita Majumdar
- Royal Ontario Museum's The Forbidden City Opens Saturday March 8
- Becoming Ourselves: How Immigrant Woman Transformed Their World
- “Yinglish/Englishized Cantonese” and Cultural Identities in Hong Kong
- Cultural Translation and Chinese-Canadian Studies Workshop
- The Joy Luck Club
- Steve James Masterclass, Screening & Lab, March 22-23
- Film Screening "Unforgiven"
- The Second City Outreach & Diversity Weekend (and Auditions)
- The Royal Conservatory 2013.14 Concert Season: Uri Mayer with Jae-Won Kim
- The Royal Conservatory 2013.14 Concert Season: Mariko Anraku