- Tokyo Drifters: 100 Years of Nikkatsu
- Massacre Gun (Minagoroshi no kenju); Dir. Yasuharu Haseb
- Intimidation (Aru kyohaku); Dir. Koreyoshi Kurahara
- Retaliation (Shima wa moratta); Dir. Yasuharu Hasebe
- Rusty Knife (Sabita naifu); Dir. Toshio Masuda
- The Sun in the Last Days of the Shogunate (Bakumatsu taiyoden); Dir. Yuzo Kawashima
- The Woman from the Sea (Kaitei kara kita onna); Dir. Koreyoshi Kurahara
- Tokyo Drifter (Tokyo nagaremono); Dir. Seijun Suzuki
- Branded to Kill (Koroshi no rakuin); Dir. Seijun Suzuki
- A Colt Is My Passport (Koruto wa ore no pasupooto); Dir. Takashi Nomura
- Suzaki Paradise: Red Light District (Suzaki paradaisu: Aka shingo); Dir. Yuzo Kawashima
- Stray Cat Rock: Sex Hunter (Nora-neko rokku: Sekkusu hanta); Dir. Yasuharu Hasebe
- The Warped Ones (Kyonetsu no kisetsu); Dir. Koreyoshi Kurahara
Date: Sat. January 19, 2013 - Sat. April 6, 2013.
Location: TIFF Bell Lightbox (Reitman Square, 350 King St W) - Toronto, Canada
TIFF Cinematheque presents Tokyo Drifters: 100 Years of Nikkatsu to showcase 12 films from the golden age of Nikkatsu studio. Founded in 1912, the company had been forced to close down its production arm during World War II due to the government’s forced “rationalization” of the film industry. During the postwar production boom, however, Nikkatsu re-emerged as a force to be reckoned with. In 1954, Nikkatsu completed construction of a massive soundstage facility and lured young, promising talent away from such stodgily hierarchical rivals as Shochiku by guaranteeing these up-and-comers quick advancement from assistant to full director status. It was thus that such vibrant talents as Yuzo Kawashima, Seijun Suzuki, Koreyoshi Kurahara, and future Japanese New Wave icon Shohei Imamura were given an early chance to strut their stuff.
For screening dates/times or to buy tickets, visit their website.
Association of Chinese Canadian Entrepreneurs: Chinese New Year Celebration
Date: Sat. January 19, 2013 - Sat. January 19, 2013.
Location: Diamond Banquet Hall (Unit 1, First Markham Place, 3225 Hwy 7 East) - Markham ON
Join the Association of Chinese Canadian Entrepreneurs for their annual Chinese New Year Celebrations!
Location: Diamond Banquet Hall (Unit #1, First Markham Place, 3225 Hwy 7 East, Markham, ON L3R 3P3)
Date: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Time: Reception at 6:30 p.m. Dinner at 7:00p.m.
Ticket: $60 (HST Included)
Dress Code: traditional Chinese outfits optional
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or (905) 479-2802