Vtape‘s award-winning project The Curatorial Incubator returns, inviting applications from emerging curators.
This year, The Curatorial Incubator, v.11 – Stop with the performance already! will go in search of works that go over the top while reaching for the stars. From Semiotics of the Kitchen, Martha Rosler’s deadpan cooking show of 1975, right up to the on-going manic high jinks of Ryan Trecartin, artists have been turning the camera on themselves and their friends and, in the process, have redefined performance for the camera as both expressive and excessive.
Participants in Stop with the performance already! will have an opportunity to hone their curatorial skills in the media arts in a number of important ways: attending specialized workshops conducted by arts professionals; conducting independent research using the rich resources available through Vtape; writing a curatorial essay for their program of selected titles, with invaluable editorial assistance provided by an arts professional; and, finally, presenting their curated program to the public.
Research phase (August-September) includes:
- workshops conducted by established curators, artists and arts professionals specializing in media arts and an interest in performance-based work,
- free access to the vast research facilities on site at Vtape, with almost 4000 titles by 800+ artists and over 2500 articles on video art, and
- extensive access to the Vtape on-line preview resource available only to curators and authorized researchers.
Presentation phase (January – February 2014) includes:
- an exhibition of all the curated programs with an introduction by the curator, and
- a fully illustrated catalogue of all the programs with curatorial essays.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: FRIDAY JULY 12, 2013, 4:00PM
Proposals must include:
- an up-to-date c.v.;
- a statement of intention (1 page in total) that outlines your interest in video and performance and why you want to be part of The Curatorial Incubator, v.11 – Stop with the performance already! .
- examples of critical writing your have done (published or non-published)
- examples of any curatorial or organizational work you have done
OTHER REQUIRED INFORMATION TO ACCOMPANY PROPOSALS
- indicate your availability for workshops July 20-21 and/or July 27-28, 2013)
NOTE: If you are from outside of Toronto, please indicate how you would cover the costs of your travel to the workshops (to be held over 1 weekend) and some additional time for on-site research at Vtape.
And don’t worry; you won’t be held to your original proposal but keep in mind that the jury will need to get an idea of what kind of work you are going to be searching for. Surprises are to be expected along the way. That’s what research is all about.
Send applications to: